Degree: Bachelor Dental Medicine and Surgery (B.D.M.S)
Duration of Study: Five years (10 semesters, 15-20 weeks each, /190 credit hours)
The Sudan has been producing health professional for about a century, and dental and oral health and surgery for about 30 years. The difference is clear in the number of dental specialists as compared to general practitioners. The number is not enough not only in the rural areas but even in the capital, and in close vicinity of the Khartoum Dental College and within its teaching hospital. Also very few of those graduates had serious intentions to do postgraduate studies. The curriculum of the, then, only medical college had emphasized the role of general dental practitioner who may work in the capital affluent community. Dentistry is expanding and the need for dentists is rather a national emergency that requires designing a curriculum, which orients the college towards the community problems and qualifies the student with the skills of self-directed learning. The following outline is suggesting a comprehensive curriculum to cater for that.
- Phase One: The first semester is reserved for University requirements
- Phase Two: Spreads over semesters 2 – 6 and overlaps with phase one, it include basic medical sciences, dental sciences and dental preclinical skills>
- Phase Three: Extends over semesters 7-10 with the target of developing and improve the clinical skills and professionalism. The training usually took place in the well equipped premises within the campus..
- The University dental clinics encompass specialized units in major dental disciplines that include oral and maxillofacial surgery, restorative dentistry,periodontology, prosthodontics, pediatric dentistry and orthodontics.
- Sequence of practical courses goes parallel with their theoretical part till semester 9, semester 10 is purely comprehensive dental training course.During the first and second phases there are shared courses such as medical ethics & professionalism, and involvement in basic clinical courses within the clinical ward round team.
- There are shared courses such as pharmacy ethics, pharmacy practice and pharmaceutical care, professionalism and involvement in basic clinical prescription within the clinicalward round team.
A student interested in joining the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Surgery, has to:
1. Obtain pass mark in in seven subjects including: Arabic language, religious studies, English language,
mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology. International students who have not studied Arabic and religious studies may have more alternative subjects from an approved list of subjects published in the webpage of Ministry of Higher Education.
2. Achieve the percentage in Sudan School Certificate announced every year (International students may have
10% less in the School Certificate scores.
3. Apply electronically though the website of the Admission and Accreditation Office, Ministry of Higher Education, or apply directly in Admission Office in the National University, and pass the health examination, aptitude tests and interview at the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Surgery.
Sudanese students… 250,000 SDG
International students…8,000 $
Stategy and methods
The learning strategies emphasize the following: (1) early acquisition of basic skills, (2) student-centreed learning, and maximum student responsibility in the learning process, (3) problem-based and problem-oriented learning, (4) community-oriented and community-based activities, (5) integration of basic science, community and clinical dentistry, in a multidisciplinary approach, (6) self- and peer education and evaluation, (7) team-work approach, (8) a wide range of electives, (9) continuous evaluation and (10) continuous education. The faculty adopts the following methods in the daily programme of activities: (1) problem-based learning (PBL) sessions- one problem/ week at most, (2) seminars and small group discussions –once/ week at least (3) field practice in rural and primary health care settings and societies not less than 1/5th of the timetable, (4) practical sessions (laboratory, clinical) not less than 1/4th of the curriculum timetable, (5) skill
laboratory (weekly) sessions, (6) lectures -not more than 1/3rd of the curriculum timetable (not more than 3
lectures/day). (7) educational assignments, reports and research activities (as many as the programme would
allow- at least one per module), (8) electives -not more than 10% of the curriculum timetable, and (9) graduation project.
Students qualified with this Bachelor degree [B DMS] pass through a track decreed by the Sudan Medical Council and are thus temporarily accredited as dentists. After working for a period specified by the Ministry of Health in each specialty/ discipline, grads acquire a license of permanent registration with the Sudan Medical Council and may pursue master’s and
doctoral degrees or licensing in any of the eight disciplines of dentistry or basic science to qualify for specialized practice as a consultant/specialist or university teaching. The graduate may be interested in managerial, commercial, industrial or charity career, related to one of the various specialties in the discipline.
International graduates can follow the same track if they preferred to stay in the Sudan, but may also start their registration and internship in their own countries or residence.
☏ +249 1555772782
☏ +249 1555772783